Cheese crackers

Highly addictive cheese crackers with rosemary.

I have often stared at a lump of parmesan cheese sitting in the fridge, not sure how long it will be good for. I have wondered if I could turn it into parmesan crackers by grating it and adding a little flour? I'm one step closer to that dream: I found an easy cheese cracker recipe from my favourite food blog, Smitten Kitchen. I made a few adjustments to local supermarket supply and I converted the measurements to European ones.

The goat cheese and rosemary crackers turned out great and if we manage not to eat them before Sunday they will be served at our big Easter brunch!

Cheese crackers 

(About 80 crackers)
200g (400ml) coarsely grated goat's cheese, cheddar or similar
4 tbs organic butter
100ml organic whole wheat flour
100ml organic wheat flour
2 tsp tomato puree
1 tsp dried, finely cut rosemary
A pinch of sea salt

Preheat your oven to 175°C. Combine all ingredients in a bowl and knead together until it's a solid lump. If the dough is very soft, chill it in the fridge for 30 to 45 minutes to make it easier to roll out and cut into shapes.

Flour the surface lightly where you will roll out the dough, also dust some flour on the rolling pin. For a rolling pin you can use a bottle that you washed clean, like I had to do. Roll the dough so it's a few millimetres thick. Use a cookie cutter to make cute shapes, or improvise and use the rim of a glass or even the cap of a thyme container, like I did.

Transfer the crackers to a baking tray lined with non-stick parchment and bake for 12-15 minutes on the middle rack or until they are barely browned.

Comments

Popular on this blog: